Friday, November 23, 2018

Moving from CreateSpace to KDP?

KDP or Kindle Direct Publishing, has replaced CreateSpace. 
   It's better now (2020), and they have a side program to turn your manuscript into an ebook, good. But pay attention to the formatting issues very carefully, since ebooks can't contain embedded objects or pictures to the best of my knowledge, only text.

How easy CreateSpace use to make it in 2018! A few clicks and its done. But they tell you nothing about how KDP will function so you assume it will be as easy as CreateSpace (CS) was to use. But it's not, not nearly. The KDP Dashboard is scant, no buttons or links to do anything much.
   One of the things I liked about CS was how easy it was to make or upload manuscript changes and republish. No way to do that on KDP that I can see. Selecting my book doesn't take me to a menu of steps like CS did. In fact, it does nothing. About the only thing I can do related to my book on KDP is find out how many copies sold, which is necessary, but in an age of information availability, nothing much. 
   I guess they want everyone to only publish eBooks so they can eliminate the cost of paper and covers? But as the author I paid for that, so what's the big deal? Print books are now going thru a resurgence, so what were they thinking? I can tell you: Cut costs and increase profits. Cut the cost of equipment and people to print books. It's that simple. but this is not a future 100% electronic world yet. 
   Wake up KDP. Listen to us. You have a long way to go to be author-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out my website at rodneyrichards.info