Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ode to Moms

Oh Mom!
The tongue you bequeathed me
 – inadequate--  
for your praise!

Shall I thank thee for your sacrifice?
That called for single motherhood
for eight hard years that sufficed

Shall I thank thee for your gifts?
That gave me smarts
to endear teachers' hearts
and the girl I married not to miff

Shall I thank thee for your kindness?
That put brother and I first
without showing sadness

Shall I thank thee for thy sweet demeanor?
That only grew angry
because I was meaner?

Shall I thank thee for putting others before thee?
Family, friends, strangers 
and all you see including me

Shall I thank thee for your encouraging words?
Praising our achievements
no matter how absurd

Shall I thank thee for food on the table and clothes on my back?
Before you ate
or took your own outfits
off the Goodwill rack?

Shall I thank thee for your rose-colored glasses?
In light of dark
near-broke
begging dashes
when He sent you aid

Shall I thank thee for your unlimited faith?
In God, the Pope
and Christian fate

I could go on and tell your stories
but tears would fall
because
there are so few great glories

Yet, yet, there are many
'cause we survived
 -- by your own and God's hands –
tender at times or hard
creating mutual destiny

So thank you Mom

I am that much more

a better man for it



Copyright 2015 Rodney Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out my website at rodneyrichards.info